Smoke alarms save lives. Smoke alarms that are properly installed and maintained play a vital role in reducing fire deaths and injuries. If there is a fire in your home, smoke spreads fast and you need smoke alarms to give you time to get out.
Free Smoke Alarm Requests:
The City of Portsmouth provides and installs smoke detectors to citizens at no charge. Call Fire Marshal’s Office at (757) 393-8689 to schedule an installation or complete the online Smoke Detector Request Form.
- Install smoke alarms in every bedroom. They should also be outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home. Install alarms in the basement.
- Test all smoke alarms at least once a month. Press the test button to be sure the alarm is working.
- A smoke alarm should be on the ceiling or high on a wall. Keep smoke alarms away from the kitchen to reduce false alarms. They should be at least 10 feet (3 meters) from the stove.
- People who are hard-of-hearing or deaf can use special alarms. These alarms have strobe lights and bed shakers.
- Replace all smoke alarms when they are 10 years old.
Note: Smoke Alarms are only available for homeowners. If you are renting property, you will need to contact your rental office.
*To view PDF files, you may need to install Adobe Reader.